Propane Safety Tips
At Styer Propane, we take a tremendous amount of time and energy to ensure that our employees and customers are safe in their handling, transportation, and use of propane. We have made it our number one goal to provide comprehensive safety information to our customers through print and online materials.
If you smell gas in your home here are some things to remember:
- Avoid Open Flames and Sparks– Put out any open flames and do not cause any sparks or attempt to create an open flame. Flames or sparks can trigger an explosion or fire.
- Evacuate the Area– Have everyone in the building or home evacuated from the area you suspect gas it leaking.
- Shut Off the Propane– If it is safe, turn off the propane from the main gas supply valve on your propane tank. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise)
- Report the leak– Call your propane retailer, 911, or your local fire department. Keep everyone from returning to the building or home until your propane retailer determines it is safe to do so.
- Get your system checked– Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak free.
A gas leak can be very dangerous if the situation is not handled properly, so it is important to follow these steps carefully. Getting your system regularly maintenance can lower the risk of issues with your propane supply. If you have any questions about propane safety, ask a Styer Propane Professional and they will be happy to address your concerns.